Tuesday 1 September 2020

 MONTONE

A magnificent day in a jewel of a town in Umbria.

About 40 kilometers from Perugia is a small, yet rich and extraordinary town called Montone. In the 45+ years I have been in Perugia, I had never been there. Now, it is surely one of the most extraordinary little places I have been to, and I do hope to return.


Surrounding oneself with 360 degrees of nature and pure peace and beauty is a LOT in these times! A magnificent little place, filled with delightful surprises.


We started the day walking into the center of town, on the small main plaza, and EVERYONE'S eyes were on us! It was like "Hey, new people come to visit us!" And there we were, on full display, trying to then decide where to have a little breakfast, which bar to chose from, and where we would be safe or safer during these Covid times. We chose a little table that felt protected, against the wall of a bar, thinking that there we would be alone...


I would love to say that this was a perfect little snack, but actually, although it looked nice and the pastries fluffy, they were quite a disappointment!! But it did get a laugh from us. The whole wheat flour contained honey,, but perhaps 1/8th of a teaspoon, and the cornetto was so wide and without character or a great taste, that we just had a laugh over it.

We sat and enjoyed the view of people walking by, and also had a surprising visitor just a couple of meters from us. A middle aged man had a loud cellphone conversation right in front of us, as if he was there to inform us of his life and affairs. It was really quite amusing, he just planted  himself there, as we sunk our teeth into this flavorless pastry, and laughed at our first experience in the town. It was worth the price, just to have this odd and amusing situation happen to us, as people without masks dodged our table by just inches, and we though how our peace and quiet was not to begin in this precise spot....not yet. 







TIME FOR LUNCH!!! And THIS was a magical moment, a wonderful experience filled with glorious food and delightful finishing touches. We sat outside at ERBA LUNA (check it out on Tripadvisor as we did) and delighted in the shady spot we had with a view of plants and of hills and clouds in the distance. There were butterflies, trees, lovely atmosphere and as we waited we relaxed totally. We ordered some delicious plates, my tagliarine with porcine mushrooms was wonderful, and I later discovered that the pasta had even more mushrooms in the pasta itself! Then my special grilled vegetables were so beautiful and also so delicate to eat. I really enjoyed it, both for the freshness and the original way it was served, and for the beauty of the plate itself.


Even the coffee that I ordered was served with a tiny little pitcher of milk WITH its own froth, so it became a tiny little cappuccino in my expresso cup. This is something that never happens! Such attention to detail! A cook who cares, about detail and pleasing their customers!

So....it was quite a meal, and very appreciated by myself and husband. I fully reccomend ERBA LUNA to anyone coming to Montone.

Also, the restaurant in front of the garden area where we ate is antique and marvelous...worth the visit to go in and see, and later in winter months, is surely the home to many an exquisite meal and elegante dining experience. 


Meeting the cook and his partner was also a treat. Their conversation made me realize how passionate they are with cooking and making the experience so special.

On a funny note, I asked where there were woods where we might go and rest on a blanket as we did in another woods in another town, and we were warned.....careful, there might be wild boars. So....no nap after lunch that day!


No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.