Wednesday 15 October 2008

Packages and problems in China ---------Pacchi e problemi in Cina

VERY VERY AMUSING.......Take a look at the problems I had
when collecting addresses when in China and then trying
to use them to send photos, catalogues, and newspaper articles to China!

Many of the people who I photographed are in my
catalogue, so I thought it would be fun to
send the catalogue to these people.

Case number ONE: My Chinese friends who speak English clearly gave me their name in Chinese and their address, so I just had a Chinese friend here in Italy copy the name and address on the envelope and it was easily ready to send.

Case number TWO: SOME of the people who I "asked" to write their names and addresses in my little black book wrote just their address. So, what was missing on the package of one woman, was a name. That meant that someone (a helping friend) THIS WEEK, while my husband is in China will call the phone number of that person and get a name! Of course they will have to explain that the person who needs the name is the woman who she met a year ago and helped fix a belt at a shoemaker's on the sidewalk. All that for a NAME!!

Case number THREE: SOME people only gave me a phone number, like a photographer who, with a translator, gave me some wonderful philosophical advice: "Show the truth" in my photos, he said. Only giving me a phone number meant that someone (a helping friend) will have to call him and explain that I met him at an exhibition and that he helped me with my photos AND that a package is awaiting him of my catalogue, photos of the show and a newspaper article. I am sure he will be pleased!

Case number FOUR: Some people, artists, gave me their brochures. I wasn't sure what was what - a name, an address, or whatever! I needed help! Luckily here, a Chinese friend helped me, and not only that...she even called China! She has a very good rate on her phone (can cost just pennies a minute) to confirm addresses, names, phone numbers. It was a big job to me, but easy for her.

So....lots of people who I photographed
are receiving packages...and boy,
will they be surprised!Some are
already waiting for them to arrive,
having been advised from Italy, by my friend.

PLUS....each package, on the outside has a note to the three different people who will help to distribute them...it is all quite complicated (notes say, call this girl at her work, perhaps take it to her; or this boy works a lot, hope he can get it otherwise call and take or send...) etc.

Now...for the Italian a real quick explanation:
Italiani.....spedire questi pacchi non era facile - mancavano nomi, indirizzi, telefoni, ecc. Alla fine ce l'ho fatto...solo perchè ho avuto l'aiuto di amici qui ed in Cina per la distribuzione.
Ora sarò curiosa sentire chi riceve e che ne pensano! Ho menzionato molti di loro nel catalogo, ed allora, saranno sorpresi e contenti, spero.

No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.