Thursday 15 November 2012

Culture shock here I come

Just what IS culture shock?
I can assure you, I will have a very good dose of it this time, when I got back into Italy after 50 days in L.A. California.
Culture shock.
It's shocking.
Your system expects the sun and good music on the radio, of the newest groups OR of the songs you knew as a child. Instead, you get Italian music, much of which are single recording artists. And not music you really can sink your ears into.
Shock number two. Those streets! So tight that when you get out you have to watch your door, just to make sure you don't bump into the next car, parked millimeters away.
Culture shock! Smiles, here, on the street in the stores, from clerks, cashiers, from people in line to people walking their dogs, etc etc. To serious faces!! Don't smile, you don't know that person!!!
So sad.
And casual living. In Italy there is sort of a way of dressing, getting made up, even to do the simpliest thing. Here, in L.A. even curlers are permitted. Or pajamas, or going out in a robe, or even shorty pj's. Ah, to be casual! It is fun, it is normal, it is so L.A.!
SHOCK. Going from sunny California to rainy Italy. But that is the least.
Here you can do and see and eat and hear just about anything. And when I say eat, any food whatsoever. I stil haven't eaten Chinese, but I did have Peruvian. And I had Thai, and Indian but I didn't have Korean yet. I did have Italian of course, but I still didn't have ribs. Though I did have Waffles but I didn't have French toast...wait, yes I did! At home, I forgot.
I am already preparing for the shock. Here you can find everything and you can do everything.
And being different is being normal here.
Shock, shock shock.
Am I ready for it?
I don't know, but I am feeling the feeling that says time is just about over for this whirlwind of a place, this modern Disneyland, this crazy feeling.
Back I go into time, into the past, into beautiful Italy, which I love to see, and which inspires my photography.
But this time, I will have a more difficult time re-entering. And the shock will be even more so.

No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.