Friday 30 August 2013

Dancing in my neighborhood

I did something I hadn't done in a long time last night, I danced at one of the "sagra's" (food, music, all outdoors in a park) of the city of Perugia. It had been a long long time, and it was really fun.

First though, I enjoyed watching all the people dance. They surprised me, because they weren't smiling!
Men and women of all ages (but mostly in the 60's or 70's) were dressed casually, and were dancing to slow, medium and even faster kinds of music, moving to the beat of the music, swaying, walzing around, and putting on a very enjoyable end of summer entertainment, for all to watch.

At first we were far enough away to watch the whole dance floor, you could see different couples waltzing by, and watch the group as a whole. Every so often some of the couples would do a line dance. At times it looked a bit silly, seeing men of all shapes and sizes kicking out their legs, shaking their arms around, and spinning, while women in front of them did the same movements.

There were tight white pants on women, print billowy pants on one of the women, military printed shorts on a man, very high heels on several of the women. But also tennis shoes, sandals, a striped skirt, very tight shirts on women and men alike, as well as women with heavy make-up, some very simply dressed men and women, women dancing together and one funny man who danced alone, doing a final pose at the end of some numbers, going down to the ground, and putting one fist into the air like John Travolta.

It was so enjoyable, but I knew I wanted to get up close to see the expressions on people's faces.
We moved in closer, sitting at a table to see the people's faces as they swung around on the dance floor.
It was a treat! And I saw that people actually did start to smile and sometimes laugh when the faster dances, such as a polka began.

At one point (I was dying to dance and my husband is not a dancer) a short balding man asked me to dance. We danced, I tried my best to follow, and did ok, I think. It was fun. I sat down and a good looking tall man asked me to dance immediately after that. My husband, and relatives who showed up minutes before, watched me as I spun around on the floor, asking the poor man if I was doing alright. The longer I danced, the less sure I felt that my feet were doing the right thing. I think probably he was happy to change partners after that.



No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.