Monday 25 August 2014

Giving someone a place in line at the market

QUESTION- is giving someone a place in line a nice thing to do?
Here's a little Italian Line story....

I was in line at the market. A woman, two people in front of me, asked the man behind her "Do you just have that one item?" "No" he answered, "this shopping bag is full of other things too." Behind ME was a young girl with two items. "Excuse me" I said to the woman, "this girl only has two things can we let her go by?" "Yes, fine" said the man and the woman in front of me.
I was feeling "Hey, this is really nice, this little favor-giving, a simple way for people to be generous to his fellow man."
Behind me, another woman showed up with just a bottle of water. "If you want to go ahead of me, that's fine" I said.
Then....another person came up with just a few things, I also let them pass me up (while in my head thought, "Now I really have to get going, it's late and I have to get home to prepare lunch".
I got to the cash registar. "You know, you might consider opening up the fast line again, because there are so many people who only have one or two items".
She replied to my surprise "Well, it's gotten to be a habit (inferring that people took advantage asking to cut in line to buy one or two objects).
And you know....that sentence just sounded wrong to me, so I replied "Actually, I think it's a nice way for people to be able to do little favors that are so easy to do, a way to be socially polite to others."
She looked confused, I felt semi-satisfied though disappointed in her attitude.
I spoke my mind, and I am glad I did.

No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.