Thursday 19 March 2020

American in Italy and Coronavirus -- The Elderly

Coronavirus? The elderly? 


I am not an expert.  Just a normal American woman who has been living in Italy since 1974. And I also have a daughter in China, so I am lucky to receive information and  guidance and experience of this daughter who has learned a lot having lived through this virus directly in China. 

Where I live in Perugia it is a small city, so it is easy to hear directly of people's experiences. The number of contagious people in Italy is very high. We all know someone who works in the medical field here, so information is constantly getting to us.

From afar, I am seeing and hearing things that are being said and shared by Americans. I am disgusted with calling the virus the Chinese Virus (this, thanks to you know who!!). There are various ideas about whether the virus actually did come from China or not, which you can find on the web.
And I am also angered at the hostility against Chinese or Asians in general in the USA. It also has happened here, and is dreadful.

Today a friend just wrote asking me if it is true that "Italy is not caring for the elderly if they contract the virus". I looked it up on SNOPES to get the truth. Snopes searches the truth about current affairs mostly, and you can count on their research and opinions. 


As I had known basically, there are mixed answers on this question about the elderly. Definitely it is not that Italy doesn't care for the elderly, but just like in any other country who is not ready for the amount of people who are constantly being taken in ambulances to the hospitals, if they don't have enough machinery, enough of the machines that aid with respiratory difficulty, then at that point, if the hospitals are overcrowded and a decision must be made about who gets the machine and who doesn't, the choice will go to the person who has the most possibility of surviving.

Harsh, but true. AND THAT IS WHY ALSO, RIGHT NOW IT IS IMPERATIVE TO TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES AND TO STAY IN GOOD HEALTH.
 Italy is not the only country with a lack of these important machines. Also now we will see if the USA will be prepared to care for the amount of people that most likely will come down with the virus.

Another truth is that visitors are not able to come and visit very ill relatives because this virus is way too contagious. This means, now is the time to stop being with people, and if you have to be, a mask and a very good distance between the two of you. 

 Here is an EXCEPTIONAL list of what happened here in Italy, step by step worth the read: 



Remember.....
CHECK OUT THE EXPERTS
DON'T SHARE POSTS OR INFORMATION BEFORE CHECKING IT
USE COMMON SENSE
AND STAY IN, START SOCIAL DISTANCING
THIS VIRUS IS NO JOKE....

It may seem like something to joke about in the beginning, I think we all went
 through this period, not knowing much, not believing it was true, and taking 
it as if it was an impossibility. I just heard this morning of an island in Hawaii 
shutting down almost everything. Now in New Zealand they are not permitting
 any more foreigners into their country. And in the States, people are believing 
this is not hitting them? And to not take things seriously??



No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.