Saturday 13 July 2024

UMBRIA JAZZ, midnight adventure


 The best event ever at Perugia is UMBRIA JAZZ.

Music, international crowd, ongoing fun-loving and laid-back atmosphere into the late evening hours.

                       Yesterday, being late to be sure on finding a parking space, 

                                   I suggested MINI METRO to get us into town.

We piled into a full minimetro tram, and on the way up to town, at each stop more and more people got on.

There was no particular control except at the initial stop at Pian di Massiano, I heard that they were telling people to not exceed about 15 people. On exiting, a voice over the loud speaker told us how to get out, carefully. 

BUT NOT ONCE were we advised not to exceed a certain number on the tram. 

NO ONE was directing what was going on, controlling the number of people, limiting or making sure things were "safe".

I think we were about 30 to 40 people on one tram. We were all standing pretty close and a few of us were talking about  possible danger and our number being a problem.

We stayed in the center from about 10.30pm. The center was  packed full, and still more people were coming up from various directions. We decided to head home a little after midnight. We had parked at the Madonna Alta so a few stops down to get to our car.

At the minimetro I saw the elevator out of order. A technician was inside the structure, and a barrier was blocking the entrance. But the shock was seeing the line to get onto the escalator going down to the entrance to the minimetro, totally stopped. A huge crowd was just standing and waiting. I believe police were blocking anyone from gettting on it, meaning that probably the minimetro was blocked or out of order.

THEN OUR MIDNIGHT ADVENTURE BEGAN! 

We left to WALK to our car.

Walking is no easy task in Perugia. 

Hills, dark streets, uneven pavements, other people in our dilemma, walking here and there, and many, sitting on the curb waiting for buses that we learned, last night  were being sent to pick people up, most likely because the minimetro didn't seem to be doing it's job. They kept coming up, empty with the writing UMBRIA JAZZ on the front of each bus.

At one point we asked at a bar that was open (by now it was about 1.20am or so) the best way to get down without finding ourselves in a dark park alone at this hour. I hollered at my husband, "get me something to eat!!". It was a very hot evening, our water bottles were essential, and I was running out of fuel. I needed just what he found me, some delicious chocolate cake! I ate it while continuing to walk.

HUGE trucks passed us, definitely carrying stage equipment for the performers. On the side of one truck was written ROCK AND ROLL. We passed drug dealers at the station, we passed people like us, stranded and walking. I thought about who had strollers, or people with the wrong shoes, or those who weren't familiar with Perugia and had no idea how to get around in this complicated city street-wise.

I am sure there are some adventures to be told. I was thankful for the fact that even after a full day (an art opening in another town before this outing) that my energy level was good and with cake and water I kept going.

                                     HOWEVER....we finally got home after 2am, 

                                     I felt like this was enough exercise for the day. 

                                         A necessary shower, and I fell into bed.

PERUGIA.....UMBRIA JAZZ parking and transportation, should be  on the list of "things to do" and soon. No more mini metro these days for me, and perhaps it won't even be working now. We'll see what the news says. Anyhow, the new rule for me will be to drive up early, park, thus I will be able to leave without a two hour walk home in the middle of the night.

                    Umbria Jazz has always gotten a huge crowd, but now, even more than ever!

In front of the stage in Piazza 4 Novembre.

                                                A side street. but nevertheless FULL of tourists!


The huge crowd waiting for the escalator to be in use to get down to the metro.

                                The crowded car of the mini metro on the way up to the center. 

              THIS was the crowd waiting for the MINIMETRO to get moving after midnight. People were just waiting. No information was given about what was going on. At this point, we took off for our midnight walk! Shortly after two in the morning, our adventure ended. 
           . 

No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.