Monday 8 October 2012

THIS is America

Yes, I am in America.
You can tell even by the little things.
The way they started paving the enormous parking lot of the plaza near my parents' home, and how it was done just hours later, signage "parking", "handicapped only" perfectly lettered with hand-spray paint, pitch-black and totally perfect tar (I believe) new flat pavement, and straight lines for hundreds of places, all done in a short amount of time, all ready to go!
This is America. Perhaps wasteful, but definitely different, useful, polite when this happened this morning:
I went to buy a couple of big tomatoes, to use in a bagel sandwich. There were various organic ones, and a huge pile of what we call salad tomatoes, in Italy. I asked the employee if the organic ones were much better in taste.
"Well, they might be better, but the others are good too. If you would like, I can let you taste both of them".
Yes, THIS is America!! Tasting tomatoes in the supermarket? I sometimes forget that these things are possible here. ANYTHING is possible in America!
There is the side of me, the side that loves Europe for its beauty, for its historical sites and architecture, for its charm, that doesn't let me easily understand this kind of service, that actually, could be considered wasting. Cutting a good tomato and then perhaps throwing out the other piece of it. But, I love the change. I love the discovery. I like to be part of this country, it was my country and still is, although I never really know anymore after all these years, which of the two countries are mine, Italy or America.

No comments:

WHO AM I??

WHO AM I??
The best way to know who I am is to see what I create. Take a look at this blog or my other one regarding my art.

Double images....

Double images....
LOVE the double or triple image maker on my Nikon D80. Just set it, and then take two or three pics.

What's the weather like now in Perugia?

Cold one day, sunny the next. Cold in the house. But we still need our coats or lightweight ones or padded jackets outside. Chilly, and not sunny. I like it like this, no problem for me.